Sunday 18 December 2011


Snowballs are formed, then they hit. On impact they come apart and the pieces, so small, melt quickly.
Revolution’s lead-up is prickly, its result disappointing. And its body, painful and illogical in every step.
I feel at home where there is struggle.
I feel at home amongst the rough and the poor.
More,
I feel at home where people are discontent, unquiet, where the trees are not groomed, where the concrete is cracked and where one of the doors is always locked.
I feel at home where struggle is real. Where the people I see, asking for money, aren’t pretending to be in need.
Not a false mandate, channeled hate, or one-sided debate.
And our bodies: a statement of resistance in every step.
But change can be written and change can be bitten, making rabid what was written calm.
And our words: a statement of compliance in every space on the page.
What if I had resisted with every inch of my body?
What if I had permitted his hands to slide under my arms, to grasp my hot anger and drag me into holding? Holding my resistance in his gloved hands; Quieting my unsymmetrical demands.
Would the weather have cooled, the air frozen?
And my questions: a remark on the unclarity of every step.
They have held up pillars, stayed after they have been knocked down.

1 comment:

  1. If we can be at home in struggle, then peace is there too, with us. we are the storm carriers, the change bringers, and we carry that storm in our hearts. Our own depression, our own pain and anger seem like vortexes of potential to move, to destroy, and create.
    I honor your storm, I see it in me too.

    ReplyDelete