Saturday 25 June 2011

Welcome Mat


I hope you’re enjoying that cigarette.
That would make one of us.
I hope you’re enjoying your freedom
to smoke uninhibited, while
restricting mine to
breath.
Its hot, smoke going
down to that verging on painful spot in the bottom of your lungs.
I hope you’re healthy and you stay that way.
But more than that, much, much more than that I hope that
I am. And that I do.
See, every time you calmly, unknowingly, satisfied, exhale
directly into my smoke-hating, and until recently, decently-smelling face
rage builds.
Its cold: a snowball, growing, circling, collecting.
And if the unforgiving smoke doesn’t kill me
this grey loathing surely will.
So enjoy that cigarette, enjoy
blowing its refuse into my face and feel my fury as you go home,
relaxed after your café chat, climb your winding staircase and find a steaming, fiercely putrid pile of shit on your welcome mat!

1 comment:

  1. I need to commit this to memory so I can think about it every time I encounter one of those hideous in-your-space smokers!

    ReplyDelete